Actuators with embedded CAN bus controls create new application design options
As electromechanical actuators become more intelligent through support of the Controller Area Network CAN bus networking standard, equipment designers now have more design options to address the specific needs of agricultural, construction and other mobile machine applications.
The Electrak HD from Thomson with embedded J1939 CAN bus option can lead to dramatic improvements in performance and maintenance. Benefits include:
• Plug-and-play interchanges of supporting devices that share the same network.
• Power is distributed across a common wiring bus, eliminating the need for separate wires between each device and the power source.
• Switching is embedded in the actuator electronics, removing the need for external switching and connectors.
• Superior position control, enabling consistent, reliable position memory.
• Low-level power switching improves safety and allows for actuator commands using low-level electronic signals.
A recent technical article which can be found on the Thomson website details these benefits.